My New Obsession: Mary Tyler Moore

So my newest obsession/addiction is Mary Tyler Moore. The first time that I saw her was in the movie Thourougly Modern Milly where she plays as a supporting actress. In this movie she is kind of an air head girly girl. I have watched this movie many times and never really thought that much about her. Recently I came across the Dick Van Dyke Show and started watching it. For those of you who don't know the Dick Van Dyke Show is about Rob Petrie (played by Dick Van Dyke). He writes for the Alan Brady show along with two others. Rob has a wife and a son.


When I first started watching the show I noticed that his wife looked familiar but I couldn't place where I had seen her and then it came to me she was from Thouroughly Modern Milly. After the first few episodes of the show I was hooked. It is a very funny show and I often find myself laughing out loud when watching it and I have fallen more and more in love with Mary Tyler Moore. My favorite parts of the show are the ones that she is in and sometimes I think she even steals the show away from Dick Van Dyke.







After watching A LOT of the Dick Van Dyke Show and falling in love with Mary Tyler Moore my mom mentioned to me that Mary Tyler Moore had her own show so of course I had to look that up! And thus I was introduced to The Mary Tyler Moore Show. The show is about Mary Richards who is a 30 year old woman who moves to Minneapolis after breaking off an engagement with her boyfriend of two years. She applies for a secratarial job at the TV station WMJ-TV and is actually offered the associate producer position for the Six O'Clock News. The Show is about her job, her crazy friends and being single at 30. It is also a very funny show and I have become addicted to this one as well as the Dick Van Dyke Show. :)



In the opening sequence of the show when it lists the actors and directors the song "Love is All Around" is playing. At the end Mary throws her hat which is called a tam o'shanter in the air while standing in the middle of the street. This shot was actually ranked as the second greatest moment in television by Entertainment Weekly. In Minneapolis they have actually placed a bronze statue of Mary Tyler Moore tossing her hat into the air. I have now added that statue of things that I need to see before I die just because of this show! :) Obsessed yet?....I think so!



The three leading ladies. Cloris Leachman (who I also love) is on the left and she plays Phyllis Lindstrom Marys old friend and landlady. In the middle is Mary Tyler Moore who plays Mary Richards. On the right is Valarie Harper who plays Rhoda Morgenstern who becomes Mary's best friend and lives upstairs.


Isn't she just adorable?!? How can you not love her?!?

1 comment:

Melissa Bell said...

Man to think I got you to love some old TV shows. I'm just jealous that you've been able to watch them and I haven't even seen one episode of either yet though both shows are on my list to see. Way to go!